First Call Resolution (FCR) or First Contact Resolution is a metric that looks to understand the percentage of calls that are resolved on the first call.
Why Is FCR Important?
As a business, resolving a customer query on the first attempt is a measure of customer experience (CX). However, providing great CX is not the only benefit to FCR. Another benefit is that the cost per contact is greatly reduced and the overall cost of the Contact Centre is lower where the FCR rate is favourable. Additionally, FCR makes for a great way to differentiate you over your competitors.
Here Are 8 Ways To Achieve First Call Resolution
- Keep the IVR menus to a minimum.
- Monitor customer wait times an ensure they are at a minimum.
- Route Calls to the correct agent.
- Keep up to date knowledge bases.
- Ensure you can find customer account information with the need for the account number.
- Employ highly trained agents.
- Enable Self-Service options.
- Ensure you have an onmi channel platform that allows the customer to communicate on their chosen channel.
- Minimise internal transfers.
How Can You Check First Call Resolution?
- Open your call logging software.
- Check how many times the same CLI has called in within a certain time period. For Instance, a Day or Week. However, callers might be calling from a workplace where multiple people will be calling from the same public number.
- Check how many times an account number has called in within a certain time period. For Instance, a Day or Week. But be careful. A caller may not get as far into the system where they have entered an account number.
When reviewing First Call Resolution statistics there are number of factors that might affect your results. These are:
- Are you looking at just a single channel? For instance, if a customer phones in but later contacts via another channel (like chat) will that count?
- What period of time will be measured? Hour, Day, Month etc.
- If call back is available – do you count the call back as a second contact?
- If a customer phones in because they made a mistake on the first call do you count that customer in your report?
- Do you count calls that hung-up in the IVR system?
How Can Amazon Connect Improve Your First Call Resolution Rate?
Keep IVR Menus To A Minimum To Improve First Call Resolution.
Legacy IVR systems typically would offer static DTMF menus. And these static menus quite often were not appropriate for the caller forcing them to select an option just to speak to an advisor. The Advisor receiving the call then would need to transfer them through to the correct person with the relevant skills.
Instead of this legacy IVR menu configuration use a more modern approach. Conversation AI is a much better experience for the caller and ensures the customer is routed to the relevantly skilled team of agents.
Enable Self-Service In Amazon Connect
Another reason why a customer might be required to make multiple calls is the opening hours. If a customer phones in out of hours they may need to phone in the next day. By enabling self-service could service the customer when no agents are available.
Amazon Connect Wisdom
At AWS re:Invent 2020 Amazon Connect Wisdom was introduced. This is a supplementary product that taps into knowledge bases real time and presents relevant content to the agent. This empowers the advisor with the answers to customer queries they would not have otherwise known. Additionally, if the customer query was out of domain, they may have had to escalate to a more skilled agent which could have also mean an internal transfer.
Voice Of The Customer
By running VOC programs, you will be able to get very valuable insight into what the friction points are in a customer engagement. By improving the customer journey may improve the FCR.
What Else Is Important To Improve First Call Resolution?
Technology plays a huge part in improving First Call Resolution. However, as a business if you review process, procedures and other factors you can also improve FCR. An example of this would be to understand what a customer needs when they contact your business. If they need an account number, ensure this account number is clear on any white letters or emails you send or enable your systems to be able to search via postcode or another identification method. Also ensure the terminology you use is consistent between systems and teams.
First Call Resolution is a great metric to chase. By making gains here you will improve customer experience and lower the overall contact centre costs. Technology, process, procedures and environment are all factors to review when you look to make improvements.
If you enjoyed this blog post why not read our related article on Average Handling time by clicking this link